1&1 Internet began as a small German company in 1988, founded by Ralph Dommermuth. It took over T-Online's marketing activities, which was a T-Com service that was run online. 1&1 expanded into the UK in 2000 offering its hosting service internationally. It quickly established itself as a leading web host provider to private users and small to medium sized business. In 2003, it further expanded web hosting service to the U.S.A.
The company offers a broad range of hosting solutions, including shared hosting, Microsoft SharePoint hosting, Ecommerce hosting, virtual private servers (VPS), dedicated servers, dynamic cloud hosting, domain name registration and its own proprietary website building tool called "1&1 website Builder" that has mobile features and analytics.
Over 5,400 employees work for 1&1 in thirteen data center and office locations. Simon Yeoman currently represents operations in the UK as General Manager. Robert Hoffman is the CEO operating from Germany. The company serves more than 11 million customers and has 19 million websites and domain names on 70,000 servers housed in five different data centers located in the United States and Europe.
Editor's note: We have not tested this web hosting provider, and with the lack of user feedback, we will stay fairly neutral with our opinions.
1 and 1 key points
CloudFlare Railgun, Not EIG Owned
Ruby on Rails, WP CLI
1 and 1 Shared Hosting Review
1&1 Shared Hosting Plans - choose between Standard and WordPress hosting
Some pricing plans from 1&1 offer a choice of service based on your actual hosting needs. A starter package is a basic service with 10GB of space that is suitable for a small blog or landing page. The unlimited plans offer a larger allowance of storage, traffic, and MySQL databases for more heavily visited Web pages. All plans are discounted for the first 12 months, with the exception of the starter plan that remains the same cost always.
1 and 1 Shared Hosting Plans
|Starter||Unlimited||Unlimited Plus||Unlimited Pro|
|12 Month Cost||$2.99||$0.99||$4.99||$6.99|
1 and 1 WordPress Hosting Plans
|12 month price||$2.99||$0.99||$4.99||$6.99|
The following features apply to all plans:
- Introductory 12-month price. The starter plan will remain at $2.99 a month, after 12 months all other plans will incur the usual monthly fee listed in the table above.
- SSD storage for secure, reliable data storage that is managed and backed up.
- Simple DNS management in the 1&1 control panel for easy registration and transfer of your domains.
- Google Sitemap integration for instant optimization and indexing of website pages.
- 24/7 customer support. Available by phone and email.
- Drupal, Joomla and WordPress 1 click install for quick CMS setup.
- CDN. The Content Delivery Network allows localized delivery of content from over 62 data centers worldwide. Content is served from a server closest to the location for optimal speed for your visitors. The CDN is available on the Pro Plan.
- PhP7. With PHP high speed caching your website runs twice as fast compared to older PHP versions. You can read more about PHP7 here.
- NGINX. Security is kept in mind for all users. The NGINX service protects users against DDOS attacks and retains high-performance durability.
Two additional add-ons are available for premium service.
Sitelock is a complete security tool that scans and monitors vulnerabilities and potential threats in your website apps and SQL databases. It is available as an add-on for a small monthly fee. The features and benefits it provides are outlined in the price plan below.
1 and 1 E-Commerce website Builder
The website builder makes it easier for all users to create an online store quickly and is fully PCI compliant. A choice of 100 templates allows diverse design, as well as Facebook and email list integration. The builder costs $9.99 a month for the first 12 months and $14.99 a month after that.
1 & 1 WordPress Hosting Feature:
A dedicated WordPress Hosting service offers the features shown here.
- Managed WordPress Solutions. The WordPress hosting service includes WP expert support, automatic security updates, and preinstalled plug in configuration
- Unlimited Traffic. All plans allow unlimited visitors each month no matter how big your community grows.
- Project Management. Allowing 1, 5, or unlimited WP projects on the Basic, Plus, and Unlimited plans respectively
- A Free domain. One free domain is provided on all hosting plans
- Generous SSD storage. Secure and reliable storage with backup is provided with 50GB space on the basic plan, 250GB on the Plus plan, and unlimited storage on the Unlimited plan.
In addition to providing Linux based hosting solutions, 1 and 1 also offer Windows Hosting. The features of this service are outlined below.
1 and 1 Windows Hosting
The pricing plan for Windows Hosting is the same as the Linux hosting, and WordPress Hosting plans shown above. The 12-month introductory price also applies to Windows Hosting.
- 1 Free domain is included for all users.
- 2GB Email Storage on the Unlimited plan, with unlimited space for the Plus and Pro plans.
- Unlimited storage space for all plans.
- 100 email accounts on the Unlimited plan, and an unlimited amount for Plus and Pro plans.
- Content Delivery Network for Plus and Pro plan users, plus 2GB RAM for the Pro plan.
- 24/7 U.S. based phone and email support.
- Sitelock Basic service is included in both the Plus and Pro plans, with an SSL certificate included in the Pro plan.
While the performance and stability of 1 and 1 hosting seem to be of good standard, the major issue of several complaints is with the poor customer service provided.
The support team stay active on Twitter and do respond to some users. However, the issues with customer service seem unresolved, and this raises some concern about the level of support provided to clients.
The majority of complaints lodged against 1 and 1 Internet regard billing, with 384 complaints received by the Better Business Bureau. Of these, 254 complaints were resolved to the customer’s satisfaction, 419 total complaints about customer service and payment collection remain unresolved.
Is the Hosting Worth the Money?
The range of hosting plans on offer certainly provides a good choice of features for the basic blogger or freelance entrepreneur, and some features offer some attractive benefits to the small business owner. The introductory offer can seem like a bargain but the usual monthly cost after 12 months is an average cost of web hosting with moderate extras thrown in. If after sales service is important to you, or you are looking for good customer support, it is perhaps not the most valuable or worthwhile hosting service available.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
1 and 1 provide a 30 day trial with a money-back guarantee. If you are not completely happy, you can request a refund within 30 days by calling the helpline. Domain registration fees and Dynamic cloud server costs are not refundable. With the amount of complaints and poor customer service, it is advised to check the terms and conditions of your hosting service careful to take note of
1 and 1 Shared Hosting Review
Editor's Expert Opinion
While there are a few issues with very poor customer service, the choice of hosting packages and good introductory offers for 12 months is a reasonable offering. The range of hosting services scales upward quite well, so it allows upgrades to unlimited service as your website grows.
For reliability and stability for your website, it is worth the monthly cost, the features included in Pro or Advanced packs offer a little more value but nothing groundbreaking. Good for performance, bad for customer service.
1&1 Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, in addition to Linux hosting, a Windows hosting plans are available.
The first 12 months are provided at an introductory rate. After the first 12 months, your plan will be billed at their standard rates. The only exception is that their Starter package will not increase after 12 months and would remain at $2.99 a month.
Yes, all hosting and WordPress hosting plans include one free domain name registration.
A daily backup service is provided for all plans.
Starter accounts can create up to 10 email accounts. The unlimited Plus and Pro plans allow unlimited email accounts to be created.
Yes, 1&1 fully support PHP7, Perl, Python and Ruby tools in all hosting plans.
1&1 Internet operates from Germany in Europe and also has major international centers in London, UK, and the USA. They use two separate data centers based in the U.S.A to host customer data.
What people are saying
Find out what people are saying about 1 and 1 below, or alternatively, if you have experience with them yourself, feel free to leave your review.
Review type: Shared Hosting
Overall review score
I have 23 websites hosted on a pro unlimited shared account. The up-time and speed are fine. The problem I have is their call centers. Hard to hear on a bad phone line often and sorry to the staff there trying to communicate with poor English skills or accents just makes it a frustrating time. Also take my advice.
If you have a serious security issue going on with one of your websites and you need help don't try to solve it with frontline staff! Ask immediately (demand it) to speak to the "security team" who I found to be on a clearer line and spoke fluent English. ie They were in the USA.